From 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., enjoy learning from docents as they share historic information, listening to children and cultural group performances in the Rotunda, and viewing rare historical artifacts on display throughout the Capitol.
Thursday Performance Schedule:
Friday Performance Schedule:
With a special focus on engaging the youngest Utahns, as well as the young at heart, Capitol Centennial Discovery Day provides an opportunity for all Utah families to familiarize themselves with the intricate architecture and symbols spread throughout the 100-year-old “People’s House.”
Hands-on activities will include:
- Geodesic Dome Construction: Learn about construction by building small geometrical, 3-D domes with toothpicks and gumdrops.
- County Rubbings & Capitol Artwork Coloring Pages: Make art rubbings on bronze County medallions with crayons and white butcher paper, or color in Capitol Rotunda artworks coloring pages.
- Copper Toolings: Press Utah symbols like the beehive and the sego lily, as well as designs, into copper sheets using a wooden tool.
- Symmetrical Designs & Floor Mosaics: Glue hexagon and square paper pieces onto larger sheets of paper to create patterns that are found in the historic Capitol floors.
- Capitol Discovery Quest: Much like a scavenger hunt, follow the tour pathway through the building while also searching for symbols, architectural features, and details of Capitol artworks.
- Base Isolator Seismic Shake Table: Build a wood block Capitol and watch how the base isolation system protects the building from violent earthquake shaking.
Capitol docents will be stationed throughout the building to assist with the Discovery Quest and give short, informative, and engaging presentations on each Chamber or room.
Starting at 6 p.m., celebrate the ‘People’s House’ and its one hundred year history. Enjoy a formal program commemorating the historic opening, with a gala to follow. Attire is business dress and/or time period clothing.
UTA will be running special Route 500 bus service starting at 4 p.m. Saturday evening. Route 500 normally operates only during weekdays. This modified route will allow people to either park downtown and take the Route 500 bus to the Capitol, or easily transfer from TRAX at Courthouse Station or from FrontRunner at North Temple Station. Click here for the schedule and route of this Saturday bus service.
Check out our event Flyer as well!