Visitors Center Office Hours
Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed on state holidays.
Capitol Building Hours
Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, and holidays: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tours begin on the hour from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, with the exception of state holidays. The last tour begins at 4:00 p.m.
- Groups of under 10 people are welcome to “drop-in” without a reservation.
- Scheduled groups, which are often school groups, do have first priority. Please understand that if you drop in for a tour, you may have to join a group that has reserved a tour time, depending on the size of the group and volunteer availability.
- Tours meet at the desk just inside the east doors of the Capitol, on the 1st floor.
- Tours run just under an hour in length.
- Tours are free of charge. No tips are accepted.
- Capitol docents are volunteers, and the tour schedule may be subject to change based on availability.
- Tours are also available on Wednesday evenings at 6:00 and 7:00 p.m., by reservation only.
*Please note that walk-throughs of our event spaces are given by the Events & Scheduling staff, who can be reached at 801-410-0011.*
Accessibility: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals needing special accommodations during the tour can notify their tour guide and staff can ensure these accommodations. The Visitor Services office also has two wheelchairs that are available for use. For questions or access to the wheelchairs, please call 801-538-1800.
Pioneering Women Tour
Join us on the new “Pioneering Women in the Utah State Capitol” guided tour! This special docent-led tour weaves Utah’s unique state history into the story of women’s fight to gain leadership and suffrage. Learn about the pioneering women, historic and modern, who are depicted in the artwork and exhibits throughout the State Capitol building.
“Pioneering Women” is currently offered to groups of 10 or more people by reservation only. To make a reservation or to learn more, please contact Visitor Services at email@example.com or 801-538-1800.
You are always welcome to visit the Capitol during open hours. The Visitors Center provides self-guided tour brochures, which are located at the desk just inside the East doors of the Capitol, on the 1st floor. If you are visiting with children and have fewer than 15 people in your group, please feel free to download the scavenger hunt activity.
In 2015, the Utah State Capitol welcomed over 40,000 touring students! Children from all over Utah have visited the Gold Room, observed the Legislative Session, and gazed up at the magnificent murals surrounding the seagull-clad dome of the Rotunda. To learn more about providing this experience for your students, particularly during legislative session, please download our Letter to Educators.
Using the Lunch Area
We also invite you to use our student dining area, located next to the Hall of Governors on the first floor. To use this space, please make a reservation in advance.
For more information on the State Capitol, the art and architecture, the restoration and the Historic Structures Report, please visit our About The Capitol section.